The Lady Comes Home
The Delphos Canal Commission is an outgrowth of a youth project put together in 1987 to raise a canal boat hull from the Miami and Erie Canal. The Marguerite, built around 1856, had been abandoned in the waterway in the early 1900’s. Fifty-seven young people, ages nine through eighteen, under the direction of a twelve year old, obtained the necessary permits from the Ohio Land Office, raised the nearly five thousand dollars and found the extensive variety of equipment necessary to remove the hull and place it in storage. In 2014, 27 years later, the project was finally finished.