Recently, while cleaning out a room in the old Commercial Bank Building part of the Canal Museum, we discovered a letter dated April 5, 1938, addressed to the Delphos Can Company from a 13 year old boy in Alabama. Seems his grandmother had an oil can and liked the name that was on the label so well that she named her grandson after it. His name was Delphos Fulton. The letter was informing the company president, Elmer Werner, to save a spot for him because after he graduated he was coming to Delphos to work for the company that was the inspiration for his name. Mr. Werner was kind enough to answer Delphos’s letter, telling him the company was now the New Delphos Manufacturing Company and giving him much encouragement. Makes one wonder how many CEO’s today would take that kind of time. Fortunately for us, both letters were filed away and eventually made their way to our museum or there would be no story.
But wait…the story doesn’t end there. After a little research on the Internet, we were able to contact a Delphos M. Fulton in Sarasota, Florida. Turns out he is the son of our original Delphos and goes by the name of Del. He was very aware of where the name Delphos came from, so the story was passed down.
But wait…there’s more. The original Delphos Fulton also had another son as well as a daughter. And the daughter named her son…you guessed it…Delphos.
Delphos Fulton never made it to Delphos, Ohio to get that job. He stayed in Alabama and became a mechanic and a truck driver. He passed away in 1998, but his name certainly lives on.
Published in the Delphos Herald July 9, 2011.